Saturday, January 8, 2011

Mid Century Modern House Block


Jacquie from TallGrassPrairieStudio is a member of our Pieced Together Quilting Bee 2 and she had requested a mid century modern house block for her month. I must say I was a little nervous about coming up with something as I hadn't made houses before....you can make them as simple or complex as you want them! She gave us plenty of real life examples of mid century modern homes which were really helpful. After a few sketches, I came up with this one - it didn't come out exactly as planned as I had planned a third roof line and a window but in the end, this is what I came up with (here's the inspiration photo). I had hoped the roof edges would have been a bit longer but I wanted to keep to Jacquie's request of making an approximate 4 inch block house. I ended up piecing improv style as the thought of paper piecing (which crossed my mind) didn't excite me too much given I'm a sleep deprived mama right now:) (6 week old baby girl)

I love Jacquie's choice in fabrics. I can't wait to get her book later this year!!! Yeh...another modern quilting book for my library!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Super cute block, yet so simple! Thanks for sharing all the pictures.

    ReplyDelete