Saturday, June 25, 2011
Single Girl Quilt Top
Except for the borders, I'm finished piecing the single girl quilt top. I set aside some time yesterday afternoon (while my husband looked after our little one) and sewed my little heart away. That made me happy...I felt like I got something accomplished! Yeh!
I must admit - I did make a small mistake and sewed the blocks together with a 1/2 inch seam instead of 1/4 of an inch. I couldn't find my pattern with all of this reorganizing that's been going on in my house so I just made the seams a bit bigger. It's fine - it just made the overall size a tad smaller. It's going to be a little playmat for Miss P anyway, although Miss G might steal it away from her little sister (that's been known to happen since Miss P was born!)
I'm really glad I had a chance to work on curved seams. Once I found a method that worked for me, it was no problem. (The best way I've found to piece the inner and outer backgrounds to your rings is to first crease each piece in the middle (as suggested in the quilt along and DS' instructions) and place a pin - then match up your ends and pin, THEN go back between your three pins and pin appropriately. This avoids your ends not matching up/fabric overhang once completed.)
I'm still contemplating making a bigger version using my DS stash. We'll have to see. I'd also love to do this pattern using solids. It would look really cool!
The single girl quilt pattern is a great project to work on in stages given the tedious nature of using pattern pieces but the results are definitely worth the effort!